The Apex Legends update for Season 14 is here, and the changes bring another facelift to the highly frenetic Battle Royale.
Every drop in Apex Legends is a new experience: hunt every last chest for the best loot, scramble to beat the other squads to your favorite spots, and try to keep cool under fire. But unlike other big battle royale hits like Fortnite or Warzone, Apex Legends has prioritized its own style of quick moves and character skills. So even though you spend time fiddling with weapon attachments, if you shoot them down or have to fight it out in the Gulag to get back into the fight, no one will turn into a house.
With Apex Legends Season 13, we saw some ranking changes (which initially felt awful for lower ranks), changes to Stormpoint, and the new Legends Newcastle – and Apex Legends Season 14 isn’t stingy with the Hunted update. Whether you’re coming back to Apex Legends, never been away, or just decided to pick up one of the best free games of recent times, there’s a lot to take in, so let’s get started.
Apex Legends Update: Pushing Yourself to the Limit
- What is it? Season 14 of Respawn’s High-Speed Battle Royale
- When can I play it? August 9
- What can I play it on? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC
Apex Legends Season 14: Release Date and Platforms
Apex Legends Season 14 Hunted went live on August 9 at 1:00 PM (EST)/10AM PST/6PM BST, 3:00AM ACT (on August 10).
You can enter Kings Canyon on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC with full crossplay, as before.
If you’ve held out and played on PS5 or Xbox Series X, there’s also an Apex Legends next-gen update live now!
Apex Legends Season 14: Trailers
There are a few trailers to catch up on with the Apex Legends update, and they give a glimpse into the story beats for Hunted. Below you will find both the gameplay and the launch trailer.
Apex Legends Season 14 Gameplay Trailer
Some major Kings Canyon changes will be shown and you will also see the new legend Vantage in action, who is a long-range terror. Check it out below:
Apex Legends Season 14 Launch Trailer
With the launch trailer, we get some more backstory to Vantage, see her first moments as a rookie in the Apex Games, and more about her imprisoned mother Xenia. Take a look, below:
Apex Legends Season 14: Map Updates
The venerable Kings Canyon has been overhauled and is now called Reforged Kings Canyon. Respawn hasn’t been conservative with changes either, and from our time with it it brings more openness in addition to a splash of color. Hunted is a big improvement, so here’s what’s changed:
- Relic (new POI): Replacing the giant hole left by Skull Town and Thunderdome in Season 5, Relic is a sprawling collection of buildings beneath and around the original iconic skull.
- Cage (Modified POI): The giant tower is now much less of a cage as the name suggests, and the entire top is now open and easily accessible.
- Slope (custom POI): The bunker on a hill near Containment has been given a facelift, with the building removed to get rid of the interior spaces.
- Basin (Modified POI): Formerly Broken Relay, Basin has restored the removed buildings and funiculars and changed the name to reflect this.
- Map Center (rotations changed): The trail through the mountains once connected Destroyed Bridges, River Center, and Hillside, but the trail to Destroyed Bridges is now gone.
- Caves (rotations changed): The cave that connected Marketplace and River Center is now gone.
- Caves (General Change): The cave entrance at Marketplace has been widened and made clearer.
- Choke Point at Cage (General Change): The path through the mountains has been opened up, giving players a much better view.
The loot around Reforged Kings Canyon has also been shaken up. The distribution between different POIs has been rebalanced, with Crash Site and Spotted Lakes getting weaker loot and Runoff, Hydro Dam, Swamps and Octane’s Gauntlet getting stronger loot.
In general, the amount of loot present has increased – especially in buildings – and the quality of the loot should more intuitively match how prominent the POI is.
Several minor changes have also been made to Reforged Kings Canyon, which you can check out below:
- Added a new elevated walkway to help players rotate between Destroyed Bridges and River Center.
- Added two stairs and two ziplines to allow non-moving Legends to access the walls at Repulsor.
- Added a vertical zipline to help non-moving Legends access the wall at Artillery.
- Added two vertical zip lines to give players access to the walkways at Swamps.
- Added a new explosive grip to Swamps.
- At Bos a number of trees have been removed to improve visibility.
- Two of the three Charge Towers near the capacitor removed.
- Five Jump Towers removed in areas that would benefit from slower rotations.
- Fixed many bugs and bad ending circles.
Apex Legends Season 14: New Legend
A new season brings many changes, and in this case a new legend. A teen and a rookie to the Apex Games, Vantage is a deadly sniper with a missile pack and an adorable bat friend to help her out. Born on a deadly ice planet, she discovered at 18 that her mother was not a native, but a prisoner who had made an emergency landing.
Unfortunately for both of them, Vantage was injured and her mother saved her by summoning the same people who imprisoned her – saving Vantage, but immediately putting her mother back in the space prison. So now Vantage is competing at the Apex Games to try and draw attention to her wrongfully convicted mother, and the best way to do that is, of course, to win them over.
So let’s take a look at what Vantage can do:
- Passive Power (Spotter’s Lens): Whenever you aim for a sight while unarmed or equipped with a medium to long range sight, you will get a bullet drop indicator to help you figure out where your shots will land.
- Tactical Ability (Echo Displacement): Allows you to target your bat friend Echo before launching it to where you send it with your rocket pack.
- Ultimate Skill (Sniper’s Mark): Marks enemy targets and applies a damage bonus to you and your team.
With the ability to take long range shots with ease, help your squad confirm kills with a damage buffer, and move quickly, Vantage will be a great choice for the sniper in all of us.
Apex Legends Season 14: Battle Pass
A new season means a new Battle Pass, and Hunted is bringing one for Apex Legends Season 14. Accessing the premium version of the pass will get you 950 Apex Coins ($10/£8/$AU11.95).
Cosmetically, you can see a few in the trailer above, including new skins for Caustic, Wraith and Horizon.
Apex Legends Season 14: Game Changes
There’s also a series of other changes in Apex Legends Season 14, including a level cap increase that many of the more committed players have been asking for. Here are the game changes you need to know:
- Level Limit Increase: The level cap has been increased from 500 to 2000, so now leveling up to 500 will reboot you at 1 with a new gilded bezel, twice.
- Skull Piercer: The threaded hop-up attachment is back, giving you a headshot damage bonus. It is now also compatible with the 30-30 Repeater.
- Laser sight: There is a new barrel attachment specifically for pistols and SMGs, improving hip firing accuracy.
- Guardian angel: The golden backpack perk carries over to golden knockdown shields, and backpacks now have a new perk called Deep Pockets, which allows them to stack one extra shield battery, medkit, and phoenix kit per slot.
- Resurrection: The old knockdown shield perk has been completely removed.
- Rampage LMG and Bocek Bow: Both weapons are now Supply Drop weapons.
- Volt SMG and G7 Scout: Both weapons are now ground loot.
- EVA-8: Has an increased rate of fire, further enhanced with improved bolt mounts.
- wing man: Now takes sniper ammunition and magazine attachments.
- Spitfire: Now carries light ammunition and magazine attachments.